How to Cultivate Happy Children
A message for all adults with or without children: raise mentally healthy kids. They have intuition and are aware of who they like and dislike. They can read vibes. They know which people make them feel safe. They need direction on how to understand people. They need to be protected. They need to be heard. Listen. Guide. Nurture. Here are a few tips for raising healthy and happy children.
To Cultivate Healthy Kids:
- Create space for them to talk — and listen to them when they do
- Allow them to have their OWN boundaries with people. If they do not like someone, respect it by not forcing them to interact with people they don't like
- Teach them to love their bodies
- Give them the skills to be assertive — even if you don't practice them yourself
- Don't teach them to be anxious about the world — empower them to love in it
This post is part of a series by Nedra Glover Tawwab, a licensed therapist and sought-after relationship expert. For more wisdom from Nedra, follow her on Instagram @nedratawwab or check out her website, www.nedratawwab.com.