The Best Moments From the 2021 Met Gala
Photo Credit: Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
After the 2020 Met Gala was canceled due to COVID-19, the biggest annual gathering of fashion’s elite finally reconvened at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art on Monday, and the looks did not disappoint.
This year, the Costume Institute's theme was In America: A Lexicon of Fashion, which explores fashion in the United States. Half of a two-part exhibition exploring the evolution of American fashion from the 1940s until now via historical and contemporary ensembles, you can find full descriptions of the museum’s accompanying exhibits here.
Ordinarily held on the first Monday in May, this unconventional end-of-summer gala yielded an array of showstopping sartorial choices. We’ve gathered our favorite looks to bring you the best moments:
- U.S. soccer star and Olympian Megan Rapinoe brought a clutch that made an important statement for the LGBTQ community: “In Gay We Trust.”
- Singer Ciara wore a lime green sequined gown modeled after a football jersey and crafted by Peter Dundas. The knockout gown was a nod to her husband, NFL star Russell Wilson. Emblazoned across the front of the gown was Wilson’s Seahawks number, and Ciara sported his Super Bowl ring on her finger.
- Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez chose to make a political statement with her custom dress made by Brother Vellies’ Aurora James. The cream-colored gown read “Tax the rich” on the back.
- Kim Kardashian shocked viewers and attendees when she arrived in an all-black number by Balenciaga that completely obfuscated her face. One user on Twitter went as far as to call the look equitable to a “dementor.”
- Singer Kim Petras dressed as a literal “horse girl,” which truly needs no other description than that.
- Rapper Lil Nas X wore “not one, not two, but three” outfits to the fete and brought down the house with each golden couture confection.
- New mom and singer Grimes arrived in a futuristic getup that came fully equipped with… a literal sword.
- Arriving at seemingly the final hour of 10 p.m. ET, Rihanna (alongside boyfriend A$AP Rocky) strolled in wearing what looks like a sleeping bag, but was created by Balenciaga for its Fall 2021 couture line.
- Billie Eilish served a stellar look that evoked both “Holiday Barbie” and Marilyn Monroe vibes. Come for the massive blush ballgown, stay for the “old Hollywood glam-inspired makeup.”