Healthy Recipes to Start the Year Off Right
We're all under tremendous stress. This past year has been a year like no other, and we're still battling a pandemic, climate change, and political unrest. But in an effort to reduce some of the negative impact on us all, we can at least eat healthier, right?
What follows are a highlight reel of CircleAround pieces from the past year with an emphasis on healthy eating (including a few that are healthier for the planet, too).
* The Meat-Free Sandwich That Tastes Like a 'BLT': "Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans and sometimes grains. You can think of it as a firmer and thicker relative of tofu. Tempeh is a popular protein source for vegans and vegetarians because it contains roughly 33.7 grams of protein per cup."
* 5 Secret Weapon Sauces for the Modern Kitchen: "Lighter and livelier for the modern kitchen, here are five sauces — and ideas for using them — that will become your new secret culinary weapon."
"What follows are a highlight reel of CircleAround pieces from the past year with an emphasis on healthy eating."
* Watermelon, Mint, and Feta Salad Recipe: "This recipe is also a great excuse to grow mint in your garden. I have a large planter of mint that grows like crazy, so this recipe is a great way to use it up."
* This Simple Vegetarian Taco Bowl Is a Winner Every Time: "The base of this taco bowl is a handful of crumbled corn chips. I always add beans, plant-based beef substitute, and salsa. The rest is improvised based on what we have around."
* 3 Anti-Inflammatory Foods Reducing Digestive Stress: "The spice turmeric has been recognized for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. Studies show that curcumin, its main component, is an extremely potent anti-inflammatory shown to aid conditions like digestive issues."
* The Plant-Based Cheese Sandwich Even My Kids Will Eat: "A few years ago, I adopted a plant-based lifestyle and the bread was no longer my biggest hurdle — it was the cheese. After much trial and error, however, I've found a way to recreate this beloved sandwich of my childhood. And most important, my kids love it, too!"
"Turmeric has been recognized for its medicinal properties for thousands of years."
* 4 Gluten-Free Recipes for Bread Lovers: "Pancakes are another one of those family traditions I just couldn’t give up. But most gluten-free pancakes fall apart so easily and barely retain any fluffiness. Not these. They’re just how any pancake should be: fluffy and thick, with just enough sweetness."