Setting Boundaries with Difficult People
Photo Credit: Nicetoseeya/Shutterstock
Once you determine that you want to maintain a relationship with a difficult person, you have to establish boundaries to keep your sanity. Perseverance is the key when setting limits. Stick to your boundaries — they're healthy for you!
How to Set Boundaries with Difficult People:
- Be assertive, not mean or aggressive.
- Practice what you plan to say, but be okay with winging it if you need to.
- Understand that they may have a reaction that is defensive or passive-aggressive.
- Prepare yourself to repeat your boundary because difficult people will test you.
- Try not to take it personally if they have their own agenda for you.
This post is part of a series by Nedra Glover Tawwab, a licensed therapist and sought-after relationship expert. For more wisdom from Nedra, follow her on Instagram @nedratawwab or check out her website, www.nedratawwab.com.