How to Take Care of Yourself When You’re the 'Strong One'
Strong people need support, too. Even if you are often identified as the "strong one,” you can’t forget to nurture yourself. It starts slowly, but deliberately. You have to conserve your energy, or you will use it up on everyone else — and you won’t have any energy left for yourself. So, here's how to take care of yourself when you're the "strong one."
How to Take Care of Yourself When You're the 'Strong One':
- Religiously practice self-care
- Take a vacation
- Have a designated time to turn your phone off
- Meditate daily
- Be clear about the ways that you’re willing to help others
- Start being more vulnerable in your relationships so that people know that you need help, too
- Explore the reasons that people may see you as the "strong one”
- Find support, so you’re not so overwhelmed by other people’s problems
This post is part of a series by Nedra Glover Tawwab, a licensed therapist and sought-after relationship expert. For more wisdom from Nedra, follow her on Instagram @nedratawwab or check out her website, www.nedratawwab.com.