No-Cook Mediterranean Bean Salad Recipe
Photo Credit:Goode Imaging/Shutterstock
This no-cook Mediterranean bean salad recipe is a bright and refreshing dish to cool down your summer without using any heat. This simple and flavorful salad is loaded with three types of canned beans, fresh chopped vegetables, and covered in a sweet and tangy Mediterranean dressing. Keep the stove off and enjoy this bean salad as a quick summer lunch, a healthy side dish, or an easy appetizer for your next summer cookout.
During the hot summer months, canned beans are the stars of my lunch and dinner table. I love the convenience of opening a can to add to salads, soups, or mashing up for a smashed chickpea salad sandwich. When choosing canned beans, I always make sure to choose BPA-free cans, or tetra-pak boxes of beans. And I always go for low sodium or “no salt added” varieties so my recipes aren’t too salty. While I do love cooking beans from scratch from time to time, nothing beats the convenience of ready-to-eat canned beans.
My secret to the most flavorful and irresistible bean salads is making the dressing from scratch. I spent years of my life reaching for bottled Italian vinaigrette or Greek dressing for my salads, but I’ve learned that taking a few minutes to make your own dressing is the key to elevating any salad into a homemade masterpiece. This dressing has a lot of staple ingredients you likely already have on hand: olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and vinegar. Taking a few extra minutes to whisk together a homemade dressing makes all the difference in this Mediterranean bean salad.
I love serving a big bowl of this bean salad for a quick make-ahead summer lunch. This recipe is easy to meal prep and is easily prepared for a summer cookout, barbecue, or potluck. And protip, this bean salad becomes more flavorful as it marinates in the dressing.
No-Cook Mediterranean Bean Salad RecipeServings: 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2 14-oz cans kidney beans
- 2 14-oz can chickpeas
- 1 14-oz can white beans
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, honey, agave, or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Drain the canned beans and rinse them in a strainer. Once dried, add the beans to a large bowl.
- Add the green onion, bell pepper, chopped parsley, and feta cheese to the bowl.
- In a smaller dish or mason jar, add the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mustard, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and black pepper. Stir or whisk all ingredients together and pour the dressing over the bean salad.
- Toss well to combine the salad and dressing, serve immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated and eaten over the next three days.
- This salad is vegetarian and contains no meat. To make this salad vegan, simply omit the feta cheese or swap in ½ cup of homemade tofu feta cheese.
- This is a gluten-free salad as well, and refined sugar free by using a natural sweetener.