The Easy BBQ Tofu Recipe Every Vegetarian Should Try
Photo Credit: Elena Veselova/Shutterstock
Like they are for so many Americans, barbecues are a big deal in my family. We lived near a park, so we found ourselves having summer barbecues almost every weekend. This became a family tradition, and we still have barbecues every other Saturday in the summer.
But when I stopped eating meat, I worried that I wouldn’t be able to participate in our summer cookouts. Fortunately, I nailed this easy BBQ tofu recipe, so I don’t feel left out.
What Do Vegans Eat at BBQs?
Vegans can barbecue a whole slew of foods that look and taste like the “real” thing. You may see a vegan eating a juicy-looking burger or a hot dog with the works. This is because there are store-bought vegan “meat” alternatives that make for the perfect vegan substitution at barbecues.
Easy BBQ Tofu Recipe for Vegans and Vegetarians
If you want something a little healthier at the summer cookout, then BBQ tofu might be right for you.
1 block of extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into ½-inch thick cutlets
1 cup of barbecue sauce, either store-bought or homemade
1. Prep your tofu. Drain the excess liquid and press your tofu.
2. Cut the tofu into ½-inch thick cutlets.
3. Coat the tofu cutlets in barbecue sauce.
4. Marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes.
5. You can bake or grill your tofu. To bake, place the tofu on a baking sheet and bake them at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, flipping halfway. To grill, place the cutlets on the grill and cover them. Allow them to cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping once.
Optional: Double the recipe to feed a family of four. Add more sauce to the final product if preferred.
Pair your main entrée with a classic side dish, such as fruit, salad, grilled veggies, or chips. Enjoy!