Recipes and Food
Croque Monsieur Recipe
This classic French sandwich is both rich and decadent, making it great for a special occasion like Mother’s Day. Despite the fact that it has a dynamic flavor profile, croque monsieurs are pretty easy to prepare, and they will definitely become one of your new go-to recipes when it comes to entertaining.
- 10 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- ⅓ cup milk
- sea salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 slices of country bread, (not sourdough or whole wheat)
- 8 thin slices French ham
- 4 thin slices Gruyère cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and place a cast iron skillet on the stove.
2. In a separate saucepan, prepare your béchamel sauce by melting 1 tablespoon of butter before adding flour and whisking for about a minute.
3. Slowly add milk and whisk until smooth. Turn up the heat and bring the béchamel sauce to a boil until it is thick. Finish off your sauce with a sprinkle of nutmeg and salt.
4. For the sandwich, spread your sauce generously over your bread. Next, place two slices of ham and one slice of cheese on each piece of bread before topping it with another piece of bread. Melt the rest of your butter and coat both top and bottom of bread with it before placing them on the cast iron skillet. Cook both sides until the bread is toasted, and then bake in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbling.