Recipes and Food
Easy 20-Minute Weeknight Garlic and Kale Noodles Recipe
These garlic and kale noodles are a fresh and simple weeknight time-saving recipe that I keep coming back to again and again. In just 20 minutes, you can have a cozy bowl of noodles with fresh sauteed kale in a savory, garlicky sauce. I make these noodles almost every week. They are quick, simple, so delicious, and bring a ton of flavor to the table in a short amount of time.
We are all crazy-busy nowadays, and no matter how hard we prep and plan, there are just some nights when dinnertime sneaks up on you and you don’t know what to make. It happens to me all the time, even though I try to be very conscious about meal planning. My work desk even faces my kitchen, but there are still times I get so wrapped up in meetings I forget all about dinner until I close my laptop for the day. Luckily, these easy garlic and kale noodles are my secret weapon when I want dinner fast. They can be made mostly with pantry staple ingredients and only require a few fresh vegetables like garlic and kale.
The magic of this recipe is that it requires very little cook time, and also minimal prep time. Boil water, drop in the noodles, and while they are cooking, prepare the veggies and sauce. Toss everything together and dinner is served. This recipe is also a major crowd pleaser in our home — my husband and I both love these garlic noodles and never get tired of eating them.
This recipe is super versatile, so if you don’t have kale in the fridge, you can use spinach or another fresh or frozen leafy green in its place. I grow bean sprouts on my countertop so I always have them on hand, but you can substitute snap peas, carrots, or bell pepper for a nice crunch. You can also add in a protein of your choice. These noodles would be fantastic with some sauteed tofu or leftover rotisserie chicken — just add the cooked protein (make sure it's cooked first) while you are sauteeing the garlic, kale, and bean sprouts.
These simple garlic and kale noodles are proof that you don’t need to spend hours cooking to make a healthy home-cooked meal for your family. With a few simple ingredients, you have a yummy and good-for-you dinner ready in just 20 minutes. It’s faster than ordering takeout!
Garlic and Kale Noodles Recipe
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 8 ounces rice noodles, or long pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (optional for spice)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions sliced
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and sriracha in a large pan. Stir and add the garlic, bean sprouts, and kale, sauteeing for 4 or 5 minutes until the kale begins to wilt.
- Add the noodles to the pan and saute for an additional 5 minutes until the noodles are hot. Top with green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- This recipe is vegan and vegetarian. If you want to add cooked chicken or beef to this dish (make sure it has been cooked, and not raw), you can add it during step 2 above while you add the kale.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce.