Recipes and Food
Have Fun While Staying Sober With This Lychee Fizz Mocktail
Happy hours can be a great time to socialize with friends, coworkers, or even fun family members. But for those of us who don’t drink — for mental/physical health reasons or personal choice — they can be trickier to navigate. And, even if you do make it through the minefield of all-too-personal questions regarding this decision, you’re typically left with few drink options on the menu.
If you’re like me, you’ll gaze longingly at your peers’ colorful and creative cocktail choices while you’re stuck with something boring from the soda fountain — or even just plain water. Many of the most fun cocktail choices don’t have virgin options because the necessary ingredients contain alcohol. A lot of restaurants are getting better at accommodating nondrinkers with a mocktail menu. These fun alcohol-free options have inspired me to start making my own.
Lychees Are Your New Friends
I love lychees, so I’m always extra excited to find a lychee drink on a menu. This sweet and exotic fruit is a great addition to almost any beverage to give it an international flair, though it can be hard to locate lychee juice or lychees themselves at some grocery stores. If you’re having trouble, I suggest finding an Asian specialty grocery store. Finding fresh lychees can also be quite a chore, so you may have to settle for canned.
- 4 oz. lychee juice, (can use lychee nectar)
- 1 oz. lime juice, (fresh preferred)
- 3/4 oz. simple syrup, (store-bought or homemade)
- 1½ oz. plain seltzer/club soda
- 3 lychees to taste, (at least 3)
- Fill a glass or a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the lychee juice, lime juice, and the simple syrup to the shaker (if you’re using one) or the glass. If using a shaker, shake it up and strain the mixture into the glass. If you are only using the glass, simply stir to mix.
- Pour in the seltzer and stir to mix.
- Add in your lychees. I like to add at least three to enhance the lychee taste (and so that I can eat them when I’ve finished my drink). Enjoy!