Recipes and Food
Pandemic Pickle Pizza Recipe
Sometimes, the best ideas are born out of improvisation. Stuck indoors due to the pandemic and not a fresh tomato in sight, we used Indian pickles to spread onto cooked naan, topped it with local feta cheese, and some gloriously fragrant herbs to make a delicious makeshift pizza. We liked it so much that it went on the menu at Pondicheri. There are plenty of Indian pickles in grocery stores to play around with.
Makes 1 personal sized pizza | 15 minutes
- 1 naan or pita bread
- 2 tablespoons of any Indian pickle
- 1 tablespoon minced onion or one stalk green onion, sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons cheese
- fresh herbs for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 500F. On top of the naan, spread the pickle — if it is too thick, combine with a tablespoon of olive oil. Spread the onion on top.
2. Dot the cheese if using chunky feta or goat, or spread evenly if using grated cheese.
Place in the middle section of the oven directly onto the oven rack. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove, top with herbs and serve.
Notes & Variations
- We used house-made fennel and garlic pickles, but you can also use store-bought mango pickle or chutney, lime pickle or chutney, or mixed vegetable pickle. If they are too salty, combine with 1 stalk of sliced green onions or 2 tablespoons of minced red onions.
- Fragrant herbs like oregano, lemon balm, mint, and cilantro are delicious with assertive Indian pickles.
- Sharp cheeses like feta, goat or cheddar will work better than mild ones like mozzarella.